President Donald Trump has warned that some Americans would be killed in the war his country has just started with Iran.
“The Iranian regime seeks to kill. The lives of courageous American heroes may be lost, and we may have casualties — that often happens in war — but we’re doing this not for now. We’re doing this for the future, and it is a noble mission,” the American leader said in a video broadcast after the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran.
He also indicated that his aim was to achieve a change in government in Iran.
“When we are finished, take over your government. It will be yours to take. This will be probably your only chance for generations,” the president said, in reference to protesters in Iran who had protested the economic situation in the country, largely caused by US sanctions on Iran.
PREMIUM TIMES reports that the US and Israeli attacks occurred a day after Iran and the US had indirect discussions over Iran’s nuclear programme. The attack amidst the discussions is similar to that of last June, when Israel attacked Iran while the latter was negotiating with the US over its nuclear programme.
Iran is expected to retaliate with attacks on American interests in the Middle East as well as attacks on Israel.
Several countries, including Iran’s Arab neighbours, many of whom are allied with the US, had advised the US against attacking Iran, saying it could destabilise the region.
Both Iran and Israel have shut their airspaces for all flights while sirens have continued in Israel, as it advised its citizens to seek shelter.
On Friday, many countries, including the US, China and the UK, asked their citizens to leave Iran and Israel amidst fears of a war.
The US has also asked its citizens in Arab countries like Qatar and Bahrain to seek shelter.
PREMIUM TIMES reports that this is the second time in less than a year that Israel has attacked Iran, leading to an all-out war.
READ ALSO: BREAKING: Trump confirms US attacked Iran alongside Israel
The first in June last year led to the 12-day war between the two countries, which led to hundreds of deaths and the destruction of facilities on both sides. The US, which assisted Israel in defending itself, later joined in attacking Iran.
However, the US has been building its military forces in the Middle East in preparation for the latest attack. Dozens of fighter planes and bombers, as well as ships, have been deployed in preparation for the unprovoked attack on Iran despite calls for caution by world leaders.
This is a developing story. Updates will be provided in subsequent reports.






